Recently, Daxko’s own Tom Massey, sat down with 4 prominent YMCA CEOs to discuss leadership, technology, and YMCA best practices:
- Billy George of the YMCA of South Hampton Roads
- Danny McConnell of The Family YMCA of Greater Augusta
- Paul McEntire of the YMCA of the Greater Houston Area
- Baron Herdelin-Doherty of the YMCA of San Diego County
Each one provided great insight into the workings of successful YMCAs. A few highlights that stood out to me:
When asked the top things they knew they needed to take care of in order to make progress at their associations, Danny McConnell mentioned that the YMCA of Greater Augusta put a focus on the following:
- Building a great team,
- Building a culture of success to help community partners “think of the Y first,”
- And staying true to the mission of the organization.
Danny mentioned that the faith-based mission of the YMCA really resonated with him and so his team makes a concerted effort to, “keep the mission of the organization clear in our sights, we talk about it a lot, we plan around it…and I have not doubt because of that that we have been blessed with what we have done here along the way.”
Paul McEntire’s priorities centered on technology goals with the transition of the YMCA of the Greater Houston Area to Daxko software.
- Making sure that the association has accurate data and making data-driven decisions a priority,
- Establish common business practices across the association and decide what decisions should be made at the branch level versus the regional or association level,
- And make online registration a priority.
Watch the full webcast to catch all of the interview and find out more about how these successful CEOs make changes and measure progress at their YMCAs.